Books by Melissa Bowersock

Friday, April 17, 2020

Stay the Course

How is everyone doing? Adjusting to the new normal? Figuring out how best to use all that extra time on our hands? I do hope so. This experience is one I think none of us ever thought we'd see--and probably hope we never see again.

It's a sorrowful time. Every time I see the updates on the news, the new numbers, I can't help but think that every number of those thousands of dead represent one human being, one family member: one parent, one child, one sibling. And I am so sad for those families. Not only losing a family member, but losing them in such an alien fashion, perhaps not being able to be present, not being able to find closure in familiar, respectful customs. To each and every one of those families, my heart reaches out in sympathy.

It's also a promising time. We are seeing some leveling. We are seeing some downward trends. Just the other day, I braved going to Costco during one of their "senior hours," and I was heartened by the fact that the crowds were smaller, people were calmer, and the whole process worked without panic or dispute. I do believe that people are relaxing somewhat, realizing this is not the end of the world, that there will, in fact, be toilet paper in their futures and they needn't rush or grab or hoard. That alone is heartening.

There's an excellent Facebook group called COVID-19 Acts of Grace and Generosity, where you can see uplifting and heartwarming stories of the best ways people are responding to the crisis. Check it out.

And it's a time for gratitude. I'm so grateful for what I have, what we have. When many others are going through such tragedy, I am grateful for a small, calm, out-of-the-way life. It's quite amazing that just going to the store and finding my favorite butter on the shelf feels like Christmas. Maybe that's part of this: having much that we have taken for granted taken away, leaving us with a better appreciation for the things we have, even the small things. Maybe especially the small things.

So, to you, friends, family, fans and readers, I wish you all the best in this unfamiliar time. I wish you health, peace of mind, Christmas in the grocery stores. We will get through this. My wish is that we all come out better human beings on the other side.

Annie, however, is not at all happy about wearing a mask!


No comments:

Post a Comment