Books by Melissa Bowersock

Monday, November 24, 2014

Announcing: Editing Services

I must be a masochist. There aren't enough hours in the day now, but I've just opened up another new business avenue, editing. Why would I do that? Well, over the past couple of years, I've been beta-reading books for friends as well as reading authors unknown to me and I've gotten very good at catching errors. When I've sent said authors my notes on what I found, I've gotten some surprising responses.


"You caught things that got past four other editors!"

"I paid thousands to an editor and you caught many more errors than she did, plus the ones she added in!"


I've always been a grammar and punctuation Nazi. Being such a nit-picky pain-in-the-butt has served me well, and I've been happy to share my annoying habits with friends. After all, I hate to have typos in my own books, and I'm extremely grateful whenever someone brings one to my attention so I can fix it. Most of the authors I've worked with feel the same way. At any rate, after the gracious thanks I've gotten, and with the huge satisfaction of knowing that I've helped polish a book for publication, I finally decided that it was time to offer my eagle-eyes to others. 

But is being a grammar Nazi enough to be an editor? I've been writing, editing and publishing for over 40 years. I have never hired an outside editor for my own books. I do all my own editing with the help of beta-readers who bring fresh eyes to my projects. I won't say I'll catch every error--no one is perfect--but I do a pretty darn good job of hunting them down. 

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, take a look at my web page and check out the trial process I've outlined. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. My goal, like yours, is to produce compelling, professionally-written books. 

We can work together to do just that.



No comments:

Post a Comment